Holidays Academy RP Forum
Welcome! If you've be here before, welcome back! <3 Please log-in! We're glad to have you back. c': If not, be sure to read the rules and register for an account so you can get it on the fun. We're glad to have you!

Where members of Holidays Academy can have a more organized roleplaying experience for outside of the chats.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Name: Cain Kandi
Town: Christmas Town
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 17:51

It had been a very long day. Though Prudence couldn't and didn't feel tired, she was much looking forward to a break from work when she was to meet Rufus in the library later. She had been the one to ask to meet, but from the look on his face and from the exhausted way he wiped sweat from his brow in the dry sun it looked as if he had been hoping to get away as well.

She thought about what Miss Flower had said on her way to the library (much earlier than she anticipated Rufus would be there). She was a preserved memory, she had figured that much out long ago, or at least had the suspicion. She was a remnant of a person who died in an ice storm. How or why, she didn't know, but that single memory was preserved due to what was likely a strong emotional bond from someone. That meant she likely had someone who knew her at one point, even if they didn't remember her now. She had never found a person such as that, though, so she pushed the thought from her mind to focus on how she could regain a more solid and tangible state such as what Miss Flower held. In the state she was in now, she could fade.

Fading frightened Prudence. She supposed it was similar to be afraid of dying, only when you died you left behind memories and good thoughts. Not many knew her, and fewer knew her well. She spent far too long holed up in libraries and pacing back and forth in libraries to have made too many friends. Things like this, the repetitive motions or idle behavior, other ghost-like repetitions or movements or lack thereof, only made her fade quicker. She could have lasted thousands of years, maybe even more in this state, but since she wasn't well informed, she took to her more ghost-like habits often, rather than acting and thinking as an individual at all times or as often as she could.

There was a greater danger, though, and that was sadness.

Apart from her already fragile existence, Prudence couldn't be around too much sadness. It was the fact that she was able to remain happy and keep up thoughts that at least weren't despairing that she was able to be alive. Thanksgiving Town, with its happy thoughts and family-oriented atmosphere kept her alive. In a place with too much negativity, she would fade faster than Miss Flower even wanted to admit.

Tears were poison to her. They challenged her already dwindling existence and would make her flicker like a candle. This was likely why she was unable to cry. A defense mechanism to make sure she didn't disappear entirely. Forever.

Even now, she was fading. Her once black and white dress was now brown and tan. Her eyes, which used to be brown, were gold. Everything about her was tinted with gold. It frightened her sometimes, but she held on.

Prudence floated her way in and out of the hallways and down staircases to get to the library. She didn't feel like acting so ghost-like today.

She pushed open the library door rather than floating through it and made her way inside, unsurprised when she didn't see Rufus immediately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zykrinnox.deviantart.com
CommanderStarseed
Suave Harvest Lord Husband

Character Reference
Name: Rufus Cornelius
Town: Thanksgiving
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 21:49

Rufus pulled his hair back as he usually did, tying it off to keep it out of his face after he had bathed. He'd decided to take a quick shower before meeting Prudence in the library, after having spent most of the day outside in the heat and working in the dirt. He'd been filthy, and he imagined he didn't smell wonderful. Self consciously, he sniffed his coat sleeve, and grimaced slightly. He considered other items in his wardrobe, but... the guidance counsellor had yet to see him in much else. Shucking his layers, or wearing one of his more formal suits, seemed out of the question. He rolled up the sleeves of his coat slightly and hoped he would still seem presentable.

Making his way toward the library, he opened the door very cautiously, peeking inside like he was checking for monsters beneath his bed. He had no idea why he was doing this. She had invited him to meet her, after all. It was a force of habit, he supposed. At some point, he had taken to sneaking into the library and creeping around, careful not to disturb anyone else who was in there (and the only other person in there at the time was usually Prudence. But that was neither here nor there, or so Rufus insisted). Cain had ribbed him about it once, revealing he had apparently known of Rufus's strange habit. The Thanksgiving teacher could only insist he read very slowly, though that was a lie. He didn't know how to explain his behaviour. The Christmas teacher just gave him a knowing wink and dropped the subject.

He took the long way around the aisles of book shelves, straining his ears to listen for the sounds of turning pages. No such sound met his ears.

'Strange...' Rufus observed. Usually Prudence always had a book in hand, even if just to flip through absent-mindedly.

He slowed his pace, getting to the end of the usual shelf and glancing around the corner.

Ah, yes. There was Prudence, as always. He remained in his spot for a moment, which yes - he had literally come to start calling his spot, since this hadn't been the first time he had spent watching from a distance and not having the nerve to reveal himself.

She looked lost in thought, floating alone in the library. One of his sleeves slid down slightly and he hastily readjusted it, before walking out from behind the shelf casually as though he was just rounding the corner. He cleared his throat as he walked up behind her and smiled.

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, my dear. You always seem to be somewhere before I am." When he reached her, he took her hand and lifted it up as he bent down to kiss the back of it.

"Are we in the company of good spirits this day?" He asked and raised his scarred eyebrow as he kept her hand in his gingerly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://commanderstarseed.deviantart.com/
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:00

Smiling faintly, she sighed light-heartedly at his question.

"Rufus," she breathed. "Heavens me! You must be exhausted. Why don't we have a seat by the window?" She wasn't trying to avoid the question, but she'd be lying if she said she wanted to answer it.

After ushering him to the window seat, she sat down and sighed one more time before looking at him very kindly and somewhat sadly.

Rufus dear," she started. "I l--..." Don't be hasty, Prudence, "--care about you greatly, and so I feel like you deserve to know something that could possibly put a damper on our relationship. Somewhere deep down I feel like it won't, but I also want you to know that I completely understand any decision you make about what I'm going to say."

She untied her hat and slid it off of her head, messing up some of her hair in the process before saying anything else, allowing the silence to hang over their heads for just a moment. She knew Rufus wanted to say something, but she was glad he didn't.

"I'm fading."

It was simple. It was to the point. She didn't want to be overly dramatic about it, so she just said it as if it were a fact, not something they could really avoid. She hoped it would go better this way. She had accepted she was fading long ago, before she even talked to Miss Flower.
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:08

Now, both of Rufus's eyebrows shot up, before slowly sinking back down and then pinching together in a mixture of confusion and pained understanding.

"You're... what?" He asked slowly, though he had a feeling he understood.

He reached towards her face and tucked hair behind her ear, hand hovering there for a moment before he seemed to catch himself and hesitantly lowered it to her arm. It slid down the side of it until he was gently holding onto her elbow, and pulled her arm forward so he could wrap his other hand around her's.

He pulled it forward and kissed her palm.

"Is there anything I can do?" He asked very quietly, eyes closed and lips still brushing her palm. His ears were drooping against his best efforts and he kept his eyes closed out of fear of showing her the storm that was flashing inside of them.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:16

She sucked in a breath and put her hat in her apron, trying her best to look at him and show him that she was calm and had accepted it already.

"I can only assume that when I fade.... I will cease to exist. I doubt it will hurt, but..." She closed her eyes now, "I just thought you should know in case it changes anything."

At his last question, she furrowed her brow and shook her head. "Not that I'm aware of. I've been trying things and researching a lot, but even Miss Flower isn't 100% sure. She thinks it has something to do with acceptance and the ability to move on, but she couldn't be any more specific than that because... no one really understands it. I'm only a memory. Not even really a ghost or a spirit."

She sighed again, not entirely sure how to react other than heaving sighs. "I'm sorry. I should have told you sooner."
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:25

"I..." Rufus faltered, grip tightening against the cloth at her elbow. His expression pinched further, his eyes stinging as he opened them and trying desperately to ignore that and act like the feeling wasn't there at all and that his eyes weren't unusually shiny.

"Memory? You said you're a memory, right?" He breathed, sounding a bit like he'd just run a marathon. "What kind of memory? Good, bad, couldn't say? If it has to be with acceptance and moving on, maybe it's just... I..." He realized he was talking too quickly and trying to ask too much at once. He was also sounding more out of breath the more he continued.

He took several deep breaths and let go of her hand to press a fist into one of his eyes. He wished he had his hood up or something, because he can only imagine he looked anything besides helpful and... supportive, or whatever he should be looking like, right now.

Despite his best efforts, one tear slid out the corner of his eye and down the side of his face. He ignored it and acted like there was nothing there and he held onto either side of her face.

"Tell me everything you remember. About yourself. About the memory that you are. Maybe that's what it is. Maybe you just have to... accept your memories. I don't know. Please..." He'd kept his voice level for the majority of what he said, but it wobbled unsteadily as he got to the end of his sentence until it broke on the final word. He gave up on talking for now, and ignored another tear as it fell out of the opposite eye.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:49

Prudence touched his hand lightly as her brow furrowed at the glistening tears on his face. He was so strong-- she never thought about him crying before and now she could see the tears.

She knew it was a terrible idea, but she couldn't stop herself from reaching up to wipe away his tears with both hands.

This resulted in Prudence flickering like a candle. She could feel it, and the emptiness that came with it, but she needed to get the tears off of his face. She didn't get far.
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Wed Aug 28 2013, 23:54

Seeing her flicker, Rufus's eyes widened in panic before he blinked twice very purposefully, as though he was just imagining it. When he realized this was real, he gripped her shoulders, voice full of terror.

"What's going on? Why are you flickering like this?" He looked around, as though it might be a force in the room attacking her. But he could see nothing. He cursed and stared back at her face instead.

'What if this is the last time I ever get to look into your golden eyes again?' He wanted to ask it out loud, but his voice was tight. He swallowed and tried to reel in his emotions, remembering the time he'd almost blown Cain over with the second hand force of it. 'Calm, calm. I need to remain calm if there's anything that can be done.'
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 00:09

Prudence gasped and looked panicked when he grabbed her. She wasn't scared of him, she was scared for him.

"Sadness.... tears.... they make me fade away more quickly-- but I couldn't just leave them!" she cried hastily, "What good would I be if I couldn't even wipe away your tears?"

Though the flickering had calmed down, she occasionally flickered due to the heavy emotion in the room. It was quieting down now, but she looked more like a candle now than Rufus had ever seen.

"I'm sorry, sometimes I just... flicker... when emotions are high...." She hugged her arms to her chest. "I wish I wouldn't..."
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 00:43

His immediate reaction was to cringe, and start to move away. He felt responsible, like a torrent of rain falling on the candle that was Prudence.

"Stop it! Don't touch me if it's only going to hurt you."

But seeing her eyes stare at him with so much hurt when he moved away from her on the window seat, his heart clenched.

"No, wait, I'm... D-don't apologize, I'm..." Rufus sighed heavily, feeling like an idiot for everything he was saying now. "I'm sorry. I'm just... scared." He admitted, and hung his head for a moment. "I don't want you to fade away..." He whispered into his chest.

Slowly, he moved a little closer back to her, but not nearly as close as he had been. He couldn't... he didn't feel right getting any closer to her when he was sure he was the reason she was still flickering so much.

'Stop it.' He told himself internally, not sure if he was reprimanding himself for his rampant emotionalism or for still holding her at a distance.

In the current silence, he raised his hand to his own face and carefully wiped at his eyes, making sure they weren't anymore wet than they normally were.

When he was done, he tried to give her a reassuring smile while rubbing his chin, but it fell a little flat.

"You do me so much more good than you will ever realize I think, Miss Prudence White."

He leaned forward and kissed her forehead, despite her continued flickering. Secretly, he hoped it might do some good, at least for her present state.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 01:01

It did help. Prudence's golden glow started to return as she smiled at him shyly, and the flickering (which had already greatly subsided since the original problem) ceased altogether.

"I think I have a good idea, dearest." She said quietly. She sidled over to him a little ways and tucked herself under his arm.

"I don't know what we can really do about.... well, me, but... I mean it when I say that I'll understand if you... want to....." she stopped suddenly and shook her head before turning to his chest and burying her face in his coat.

It was muffled, but he was close enough that she felt confident he heard her say, "I can't even say it. I know it's selfish, but... can I keep you? For... however long it is I'm around?" He might have been able to tell that she was warmer, maybe not, but she was blushing very brightly as she said it, knowing he probably was reading into her words as she meant them, but hoping he wasn't thinking about it too broadly.
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 01:17

"All I want to do is be your's." He chuckled warmly, wrapping one arm around her and under her hair, and using the other to carefully run his fingers through it. "For as long as you'll have me."

Getting more comfortable, Rufus practically pulled Prudence into his lap. Resting with her nestled against him and his back propped against the wall, he stared out the window as the sun started it's descent below the horizon.

As he watched the sun dip, he rubbed his chin in thought. Though it was still a ways away, it would be the harvest moon soon... and his birthday. It was both a day he looked forward to, and dreaded. As he thought, he ran over the scar on his jaw, tracing it down the length of his throat until he hit his bandana. He kept his finger hooked there, considering.

He looked down at the prize in his arms and he considered what he should do with the limited amount of time they may have left.

'Just... enjoy it, I suppose.' He kissed the top of her head, and whispered her name into her hair until she raised her head.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 01:24

Prudence hummed softly into his coat with a smile on her face. Though she couldn't be tired, her eyelids fluttered open when she heard her name on his third or fourth try. She carefully peered up at him, to be sure she didn't hit him or force him to move quickly, and blinked in curiosity.

"Yes, Rufus dear?" She ran two fingers across his jawline as she spoke.

Last edited by zykrinnox on Thu Aug 29 2013, 03:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 01:45

"I'd hate to ruin the moment," And he wasn't kidding. He really, really wanted to just stay in this window seat indefinitely at this point, "But you never did tell me what memory you're based on."

He watched her face for any kind of reaction, and seeing the way her eyes flickered and became stormy, he could take a guess that it wasn't a wildly happy one.

With a small sigh, he wrapped his arms a little tighter against her and gave her a quick kiss.

"I thought it might be something like that." Even though Prudence had yet to actually say exactly what it was. "You know... I could always tell you a memory or two of mine. Maybe it'll spark something?" He offered hopefully, not entirely sure where he was going with this.

The finger still hooked in his own bandana ran back and forth, pulling it down slightly. He knew she was aware of his scars, and desire to hide his neck, but he'd yet to tell her exactly why... or even let her see the full extent of it, now that he thought about it.

By the harvest, he'd never even let her see him without his coat on, or gloves off. He almost felt like laughing at himself.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 01:54

Prudence, though happy he was ready to open up to her to any such degree, couldn't stop herself from making a slightly scared face. She knew he had scars-- she wished she could trace them with her finger and make them go away everyday-- but she also knew it was extremely personal and he didn't like sharing them with people. That was why he covered up so much. It wasn't because it was cold (it was the middle of Summer currently, and here he was, still in all of his layers), it was because he was scared.

She smiled at him before touching his hand. She unhooked his finger from his bandana and instead pulled on the finger of the glove to take it off. She said nothing as she did this, hoping her expression would be enough to put into words what she didn't feel comfortable doing-- yet. Not quite yet. She wanted to start with his gloves-- not only because he had never touched her with his bare hands, but also because she was mildly curious as to how long the gloves were. She'd never seen any part of the skin on his arms, even when his coat sleeves were rolled up.
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 02:12

Staring with a slight blush, Rufus watched as Prudence carefully pulled his glove off - starting with each finger first, before getting to his pinky and slowly yanking the entire thing off from there.

It didn't take long to start revealing his skin, but by the time his arm was revealed down to his wrist, enough time had passed for the sun to start painting the room in hues of gold and orange and yellow. Rufus' face decided to add to the mixture of colours by filling with red.

It wasn't that he was self conscious of his arms - not really, anyway. He had a few scars here and there. Like the four that curved near the crook of his elbow, and a little crescent of teeth marks on the back of his hand on the space between his thumb and finger.

"That was from the time I tried to catch a fox when I was much younger." Rufus explained at random, seeing her take in the newly revealed features of the harvest lord. "I thought I would make it my pet... It didn't seem to take as kindly to the idea." He laughed at himself, hiding his mouth behind his opposite hand.

Considering it, he eyed his remaining glove before keeping eye contact with Prudence as he began doing the same process she had done to this hand. He pulled at each finger, until he got to the last one and more hurriedly pulled this glove off as well.

He placed the pair off to the side, and then took a deep breath he hoped Prudence wouldn't hear as he reached towards her with his bare hands.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 02:21

Prudence had a smile (and a blush) on her face as she saw the hands that she knew must have seen so much hard work and toil and raised her hand. She didn't raise it in fear, though, she raised it to press her hand against his.

His hand was probably twice the size of hers! She knew she had small hands, but she couldn't help but feel he had large hands in addition to that, making the size difference even more exaggerated. She felt calluses and tiny scars on his hands that didn't make her want to tear her hand away, but made her feel like she had never seen an honest day's work. She was proud of his hands-- and the more she thought about it, the stranger she felt for feeling that way. Why was she proud? She hadn't seen his hands before they had seen work. This was all she knew of his hands.

She stretched out her fingers as widely as they could stretch and still came only to the first knuckle of his fingers. She felt dreadfully small and... even young. But, she also felt safe. These were hands that could offer her protection and livelihood-- She stopped herself. She didn't even have life, how could she have a livelihood? She almost felt worse for uncovering his hands because now she saw exactly what she likely couldn't have. Prudence noticed she couldn't say she regretted it, though. She loved his hands and... she loved him. Everything about him. Every scar, every callus, every grain of wheat.

Oh, Prudence, she thought. What have you gotten yourself into?
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 02:44

Feeling her skin against his, Rufus gasped. Her hands were so tiny and delicate and everything his hands were not. His fingers curled forward slightly, his hands so much bigger than her's this didn't even break the contact between their palms.

Her skin was so soft, it almost made him nervous. Like the rough texture of his palm alone would be enough to hurt her. And though he didn't think too much of the difference between their skin tones most of the time, when pressed against each other like this, he could clearly see the tan of the day's sun on his skin standing out against the moonlight paleness of her's.

The colours of the room changed further as he considered all the ways her hand was so precious - her skin so finely crafted, like perfect porcelain - her eyes so warm and golden as the sunset cast shades of pink and purple across the bridge of her nose.

It sank below the horizon as he interlaced his fingers with her's, feeling the blunt tips of his fingers brushing against the smooth back of her hand. He leaned forward and pressed his mouth against her's, sighing happily.

"No matter what happens, I'll remember these moments forever." He kissed a path from her mouth, the corner of her mouth, her cheek, and to her ear. "I'll remember you forever. I promise."
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 03:08

Prudence was just considering trying to convince him to take his heavy Winter coat off when he began kissing her and she melted into his touch. She curled her free arm around his neck and closed her eyes, content, when, in spite of herself, she sucked in a breath.

"B-but--" She wanted to slap herself for feeling this way-- it was childish, it was stupid, he didn't mean it this way, but had she been able to cry, tears would have sprung up in front of her gold irises. Instead, her face crunched up in some parts, creating wrinkles that seldom few had ever seen on her face.

"I don't want to go anywhere... I want to be here for you forever. I... I don't want to fade away."

Frowning deeply, she shifted only a bit away from him. It was likely enough to upset him, but that's not what she wanted. She just wanted to live. She wanted to be his and she wanted to be his forever.

Before she could stop herself, she blurted quickly, "Rufus, darling, I'm scared because I want to be here with you. I want to be beside you forever because I'm in love with you."

It only took a split second for her eyes to widen, her entire face to glow gold and for her to slap her hand over her mouth. She wanted to amend what she said-- she had never once said those words before-- but she meant it. She couldn't take it back because it would be lying by omission at this point, so the small ghost didn't trust herself to take her hand off of her mouth.

Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 04:19

Hearing her intake of breath and feeling her start to pull away, Rufus felt like smacking himself.

'Idiot, you shouldn't have said anything. You just ruined everything-- wait, what.'

His train of thought came to a screeching halt as he listened to Prudence go on.

I want to be here with you forever.

Wait.

He started to open his mouth to say exactly that, but she was already moving away from him and looking morose.

I want to be beside you forever...

What.

... Because I'm in love with you.

At that, Rufus was sure his heart had quite dramatically leaped out of his throat and ran off down the hallway, leaving a trail of blood as it went. Luckily for him, Prudence seemed far too concerned with keeping a hand clamped over her beautiful - but also horrible, because she was telling him things like this and his heart evidently couldn't take it - mouth.

"Prudence." He called out to her, reaching out to gently take her wrist and pull it away from her mouth. "Prudence Prudence Prudence Prudence..." He rambled as he leaned forward.

"Prudence, dear, I'm scared," He paused to kiss her, "And I want you to be with me forever," Another kiss. "Because I'm in love with you, too." He kissed her again, and again. He kept kissing her as many times as she'd let him before she giggled and playfully shoved at his chest.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 16:20

Overwhelmed by everything Rufus was, Prudence pushed him away playfully before completely nullifying the movement by shifting to be closer to him. She rested her 'knees' on his legs and brought her right hand up to his face to stroke his cheek with her thumb.

Though her vocabulary was vast, she couldn't come up with words to describe how she was feeling in that moment. All the words she had were either too strong or too simple, or on the occasion she thought of the correct word, she knew she couldn't use it. She had to save it for when she ran out of words to tell him how wonderful he was. While her list of things to tell him someday was growing in the back of her mind, her list of things to say in that moment dwindled and she felt hopelessly daft.

She began picking apart another corner of her mind, where she put her knowledge of literature. Surely there was someone who was talented enough to have come up with the words Prudence needed in that moment as the library darkened and Rufus's eyes seemed to glow. Surely there was something to say to accommodate for the flickering of her lantern on the table causing their shadows to dance about as if to a song no one could hear but the walls. Were there words? Was there a term she could use in a human tongue, or were such words used to describe how perfectly his scarred, callused, over-worked hand could wrap around hers and caress it in the gentlest, kindest way reserved for a higher, holier being somewhere beyond? Prudence couldn't tell, but she settled on a poet who she knew could at least understand her feelings. A woman who had been so in love that she spent her days toiling after finding such words. Even if they couldn't describe how perfectly her hand was able to wrap around his jawline, they were likely the closest in existence.

"You were made perfectly to be loved," she breathed as she moved her hand to the collar of his coat, "--and surely I have loved you, in the idea of you, my whole life long."

She gripped his coat and added, "I know what it's like to feel like you must hide from the world... But I am not the world," she looked deeply into his eyes at this point, "and you needn't hide from me behind security-- the insurance of layers of cotton and wool."
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 18:47

Rufus tried to open his mouth to speak, but he couldn't think of a single sound he could ever make - don't even get him started on trying to find the proper words - to accurately describe everything that was simply Prudence and how much he loved her.

He could ramble about her eyes, and how they made him think of distant things. Like wheat fields from summers in his youth he could barely remember. Or he could ramble about her hair, and how he thought it more luxurious than silk even through his gloves. How the thought of running his fingers through it without his gloves on made his knees go weak. How her smile chased every other thought out of his head, and he had to purposefully avoid spending too long examining her lips or else he would simply never stop kissing them, ever. How he'd spent too long pondering upon the way shadows wrapped around the details of her figure, and as he'd pondered this, he'd realized he'd never been jealous of the relationship between such a thing as a latern and a person before.

Because - though he would never admit it to anyone else - Rufus had been loving and hiding from Prudence for a longer time than he really should've been.

And as he gripped the side of his coat opposite where her hand was asking for permission to reveal more of himself, he realized he didn't know why he was hiding at all.

It took a moment for Prudence's hand to spring into action as his did, his coat sliding off his shoulders a little crooked as he pushed it off one shoulder before she did. It fell down to his waist, prevented from falling further because of his belt.
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 19:06

Without taking another thought, excited that he was done hiding, she unfastened his belt buckle and slipped his belt off, allowing his coat to fall around his waist. She set the belt on the window seat carefully next to them and kissed a spot between his neck and shoulder that she had never properly seen before.

"You must have been burning up under that coat," she said, noticing his skin was flushed. "You really ought to consider a different type of coat or something if you insist on hiding in the Summer." There was concern in her voice, as if the possibility of the redness stemming from anything else didn't exist. She then busied herself with the tie of his bandana. She loved Rufus, even the scars. She didn't like thinking about how he got them, but the fact that they were on Rufus didn't matter because she was his and he was hers.

He was hers.... How did she get so lucky? Had someone slipped her a four-leaf clover when she wasn't looking? No. Not even that was lucky enough. Something had pushed them together, some sort of external force that decided that Prudence deserved to be happier than she could possibly imagine. Something that connected her and Rufus.

Something...
Back to top Go down
CommanderStarseed

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 20:10

Rufus outright squeaked when Prudence began undoing his belt, having not expected her to just dive into the process of removing his coat so quickly. It only made it 'worse' when she kissed his neck, making the entirity of his face flush with blood, and a little bit even creeping down underneath the skin of his throat.

He swallowed at her comment, nodding in agreement. Admittedly, it was a bit uncomfortable wearing such a thick coat in the warmer months. But he'd always felt compelled to wear the garment regardless of the weather, and had continued to simply do so for so many years, he'd become accustomed to the heat. He decided even if it was only half true that's why he was so flushed, it was an acceptable answer. Even as his shoulders remained unnaturally quite tense as Prudence started playing with the tie of his bandana.

However, before she did much more than that, Rufus noticed a look in Prudence's eyes like she was far away. Her pupils were slightly larger than normal, and she seemed lost in thought.

"Prudence," he asked gently, afraid of where her thoughts might have taken her (and if maybe he had something to do with giving her such a startled look on her face), "Are you alright?"
Back to top Go down
zykrinnox
Tiny Pilgrim Wife

Character Reference
Year:
0/0  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   Thu Aug 29 2013, 20:25

A field. She was in a wheatfield. The wheat came up to her shoulders and the smell of hay, dirt and grass filled her nostrils as she blinked past the blindingly bright blue sky to see a figure in the field. He was standing so far off she could hardly see him, but he was there. Bright golden hair sticking out wildly was about all she could see until she moved a bit closer. It wasn't hair at all-- Wheat. It was wheat. He was tying a red scrap of cloth around his neck and appeared to be unaware of her presence. She moved to get closer--

when she heard Rufus speaking.

Pausing her headway on undoing the double-knotted bandana she had apparently been untying subconsciously, her hand moved to rub her eye, as if she could see something that ought not to be there or as if she had a sudden itch. She blinked a few times and looked up at him curiously.

"Did we ever meet before we met that night in the Academy?" she asked, instead of responding to him-- she didn't really hear him anyway, she just vaguely remembered hearing her name. "I... remember a field... A wheat field. And... you were tying..." --she reached up to the bright fabric she had been fiddling with moments before-- "this... or... something else red around your neck."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame   

Back to top Go down

Prufus: Disclosing to a Flickering Flame
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next